I also wanted it to not look like someone had just welded a chunk of metal to the front of their car and called it a bumper, I wanted it to "look" decent - and ignoring my color choice, I think I did that :-D
I wanted my tow points to extend straight through the bumper, so they werent just some surface welded piece of metal that would be easily riped off in a hard pull.
My first itiration of hole drilling left me with inacureate holes following some drawing that I found on the internet :-( so I had to drill most of my holes twice :-(
My frame brackets are 1/4" x 6" flat stock, with a piece of 1/8" in between the two piece bracket to match the factory mount.
To do this, I first attempted to score a piece, then bend it with a pipe wrench in the vice. This resulted in a broken vice :-(
My second itiration of the inner mount was to cut and weld the two pieces together.
His winch also took up about 23" of space across the front with the motor and whatnot, so I made sure to leave room for that.
I cut a piece of angle 2' (24" long) and welded that to the back of my 2x4 giving me 6" of space on top which is just enough to give me 4.5" distance between the winch bolts
The angle iron welded to the 2x4 sits all the way flush with the factory front crossmember, as far back as possible.
I tacked them in place, then welded the center chunk in.
To gain clearance, the sawzall and grinder came out to shape the brackets for a more flowing fit.
Then I cut a cap out of the 3"x1/8" flatstock, and welded it to the end of the wing. Then tackwelded, and fully welded the wings to the brackets, then ground down the welds on the top.
To use the tabs on the front as tow points, I needed a hole in them for my shackles. My shackle pin measured a little less than 7/8", so I bought a 7/8" drill bit and made a hole...
After drilling the tabs, I started strengthening the wings and adding a little "style" to the front bumper by using the 1x1 angle and the 3" flatstock on the ends. The loading on the wings will all be cantalever loads, so ading even just this 1/8" plate and moving the neutral axis up 1" makes a huge difference.
To form the angle iron to the same countour as the rest of the bumper, I notched and bent it with my hands - not hard to do at all.
After setting the angle, I boxed it in with the 3"x1/8" plate
Then I pulled the bumper off the rig, and welded all the spots that I couldnt weld while it was on the jeep -
Primed it black
and painted it yellow :D
I think I met my goals of the project - now all I have to do is find a winch!
I owe my grandfather a lot for the use of his shop and his help with fabricating and bolting up the product.